Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Debate background


Background: In response my YouTube video (http://youtu.be/fSWqvGXTgaw) in which I speculate about the reasons why Presuppositionalists have avoided debating me, John Laun proclaimed in his comment that he would be willing to debate. After much back and forth, I gave up my request for an in-person debate, and agreed to conduct the debate in writing. I established this blog for the purposes of making our arguments public as they were made, and encourage readers to comment.

Again, after much back and forth, John selected as his premise to defend “The Bible is the Word of God and precondition for intelligibility.” I chose to defend the premise “The Christian God fails as a precondition for intelligibility.” In addition, John insisted that I defend a premise that included a connection between knowledge and our senses, so I agree to defend a second premise “Sense information is required for knowledge.”

We also agreed that responses from each party would be posted within 3 days of the opponent’s posting unless special circumstances prevented this, in which case the opponent would be notified. We have not limited the number of responses, and either party may terminate the discussion at will.

Today (April 17, 2013) John informed me that he did not wish to debate. I’m disappointed, but not surprised. If any other Presuppositionalist would like to jump into the void please contact me by e-mail (dc14522@gmail.com). Thanks.

About me:

I am the President of the Freethinkers of Upstate New York, and I have been an atheist my entire adult life. I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering from Clarkson University, and have enjoyed discussing and debating issues including morality, Biblical authenticity, Presuppositionalism and evolution. Approximately one year ago I was introduced to Christian Presuppositional Apologetics, and I have written and given talks on this subject since that time. I have no special training in philosophy or counter apologetics, but feel that the counter arguments to Presuppositionalism are easily accessible to the layman, and very compelling. I am fifty years old and live near Rochester, NY with my fiancé.




No comments:

Post a Comment